Breakers Take Care of Business

Written by Eli Swanson, Newsbreaker Staff

HomecomingThe Pacific Grove Football Team wasted no time Friday night on their way to a 48-8 Homecoming win in front of a near-capacity crowd at Howard Cowen Breaker Stadium, quickly showing the visiting Mariners of Marina High School why the Breakers have outscored their opponents by an average of 14 points per game. After a touchdown run of 34 yards by senior running back Jason Leach on the Breakers’ first possession, the Marina offense was stifled by a P.G. defense that has given up only 14 points in its past two games. Another Leach score was followed by a John Buttrey punt return touchdown that ensured nothing would spoil Homecoming for the Red and Gold. The Breakers handed the ball to eleven different ball carriers enroute to 291 rushing yards.

After a second half-opening, 80-yard march by the Mariner offense led to Marina’s first offensive touchdown of the season, the Breaker defense regained form. The touchdown, and the ensuing two-point conversion, was but a blip for an otherwise-sound Breaker defense that made up for the mistake with an interception return of 38 yards by sophomore Noah Cryns for a final touchdown to close the game’s scoring. The Breakers’ offense added their final six in the third quarter when junior quarterback Colton Moore dumped a six-yard pass to senior receiver Anthony Ramirez in the end zone.

With the victory, the Breakers move to 4-1 on the season and 2-0 in Mission Trail Athletic League competition. Next, the Breakers will face off against the Stevenson Pirates in MTAL league play at Howard Cowen Breaker Stadium on Friday the 17th of October at 7:30pm. Stevenson (3-1, 0-1 MTAL) comes off a 34-7 loss to the Padres of Carmel. Junior quarterback Read Reynolds leads the Pirates’ offensive attack, contributing to five of ten Stevenson touchdowns on the season. The Breakers defeated Stevenson last season in Pebble Beach by a score of 43-18.

3 Stars

1. Jason Leach: 3 touchdowns and 174 yards on just 7 carries
  2. Noah Cryns and Keenan Selbicky: set up Leach with cutting runs that put the offense in prime position
  3. Breaker Defense: solid play all around shut down the Marina offense for the majority of the contest

What’s Up Next? The Breakers will host the Stevenson Pirates Friday, October 17th at Breaker Stadium at 7:30pm.