Off to a Great Start!

Written by Luke Hiserman, Staff Writer

fball 6In the last five weeks our Varsity football team has achieved an excellent record in preseason games as well as a great win against Soledad High School. On September 5, our Varsity played their first game against Watsonville. The Breakers took the lead on their opening drive with pass to John Buttrey for a thirty five yard touchdown. James Donlon recovered a fumble for a touchdown on the first defensive series. Jason Leach runs the ball into the end zone for another Breaker touchdown in the second quarter. In the third quarter Noah Ryan picks up another fumble and scores a thirty five yard touchdown. Leach finished the night with a total of three touchdowns to help the Breakers win 39-16. Against Monte Vista Christian on September 12, quarterback Anthony Coppla scored the first touchdown for the Breakers on a two yard run. Later, Jason Leach returned a kickoff for an eighty-four yard touchdown run. The Breakers scored the go ahead touchdown with a twenty-eight yard pass to Kolby Foster early in the fourth quarter. Breakers win with a final score of 20-16. The Breakers played their first home game against Hilmar High school on September 26. Our Varsity team scored first early in the game with an eighty yard screen pass from Anthony Coppla to Jason Leach. Unfortunately, the football team lost 7-28 against Hilmar High school, however they finished the preseason with an impressive record of 2-1. Following the defeat to Hilmar the Breakers traveled to Soledad High School to play their first league game. Varsity scored on the opening drive with six yard touchdown pass by Anthony Coppla to Noah Ryan. Keenan Selbicky scored the second touchdown of the game on a two yard run and Anthony Coppla scored on a quarterback keeper in the second quarter. Later, Jason Leach scored the last touchdown of the game for Pacific Grove helping the football team beat Soledad 27-6. The Varsity is now 3-1 overall as they head into the homecoming game against Marina High School on October 10. Good job and good luck against Marina!