So Not Sick of Wince & Repeat

Back to Article
Back to Article

So Not Sick of Wince & Repeat

Written by Mariam Esber, Journalist

On Thursday, April 18th, PGHS improv troupe Wince and Repeat managed to knock the socks off of yet another completely full house. A proud Mrs. Selfridge opened the show and explained the tragic reason for the previous one’s cancellation: the entire troupe fell victim to the flu. Despite the illness, the troupe still managed to have some fun by holding a “highest fever” competition, in which Elijah Taurke, with a whopping 104.6°F, came out as victor. The show also featured talented pianist Max Afifi, who made his debut quite successfully in a series of musical improv scenes.

The first scene had troupe members asking the audience for one-word suggestions, which included “wasp”, “headphones”, and the chosen one, “Nike shoes.” The suggestion unfolded into a droll scene chronicling a young Barnaby’s journey to find “the cigar” in order to join what seemed entirely like a Nike executive cult. The successful scene was followed by a few rounds of “Questions Only”, in which audience members were asked to suggest items or places that would fit on the stage (bathhouse, bookshelf, outhouse, etc…), and a round of “Hollywood Director”, in which a movie about a lizard’s life, “I’m Not a Salamander” was acted out with the themes of ex-lovers, the Old West, and rapid aging.

If that didn’t seem exciting enough, the troupe introduced two novel games. In the first, called “Scenes to Clap”, improvisers split up into groups and clapped upon hearing a line that they liked, creating a new scene with it. The second was an improv game that involved food, in this case a Food Network star teaching an amateur (Deborah from the street) how to cook up a big ol’ mess of bleached flour, Wonderbread, and raw eggs (YUM!). The troupe also acted out a slightly offensive Harry Potter skit (it’s okay, Terry), a grotesque and minutely violent surgery scene (the smack still echoes), and a show stopping musical improv number. Wince and Repeat will have one more show before the year’s end, and trust me folks, you won’t want to miss it (it’s FREE food for the anguished soul)!