Track and Field Begins!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Track and Field Begins!

Written by Caroline Coen, Journalist

After the first three meets of the 2019 season, the Breaker Track and Field Team looks strong. This year, the Breakers are in the Cypress division of the new PCAL league, and recent events reveal the Breakers’ potential for a league title this spring.

On Tuesday, March 19th, the Breakers attended their first Cypress division PCAL league meet at MPC. Over fifty Pacific Grove athletes participated in a wide range of events, from pole vaulting to hurdling to running.

In the new PCAL Cypress division, the Breaker boys’ team scored the highest of all the schools at the event. Scoring points for Pacific Grove, junior Delson Hays placed third in both the 100 and 200 meter sprint events. Also a junior, Thomas Jameson finished in fifth place in the 400 meter race. Will Stefanou, Jake Alt, and Leo Lauritzen  all finished the 800 meter run in the top five. Will Stefanou additionally won the 1600 meter run, clocking 4:30, while Jake Alt and Luke Stefanou placed top five. Luke Stefanou won the 3200 meter run and teammate Robertson Rice finished in third place. Freshman Anthony Biondi pulled off a second place finish in the 110 meter high hurdles. Senior Jacob Zeidberg won the 300 meter hurdles while freshmen Jack Hansen and Sawyer Rice finished fourth and fifth. The Breakers’ 4×100 sprint relay, consisting of Ray Birkett, Delson Hays, Tyler Smithtro, and John Garcia, finished second, and the 4×400 relay team of Leo Lauritzen, Thomas Jameson, Tyler Smithtro, and Will Stefanou won first place. On the field side of track and field, Andrew Crannell threw his way to second place in the discus. Jacob Zeidberg won the high jump, and Jack Hansen finished fifth. Jacob Zeidberg additionally won the pole vault, with fellow Breakers Tyler Smithtro and Sam Coutts coming in second and third. Blake Moore and Matthew Lo finished third and fourth in the long jump. Matthew Lo also finished second in the triple jump.

The Breaker girls’ team finished second place overall. Senior Lauren Coppla sprinted her way to second place in the 100 meter dash. Olivia Pearman and Taylor Biondi also scored points for the Breakers with their second and fourth place finishes in the 400 meter run. Taylor Biondi also finished fifth in the 800 meter run. Sophomore Caroline Coen came in second place in the 1600 meter race for Pacific Grove. Madelyn Ackerman, Noor Benny, Lauren Coppla, and Taylor Rainey placed second in the 4×100 relay, and Lauren Coppla, Taylor Biondi, Caroline Coen, and Olivia Pearman won the 4×400 relay. Parker Llantero and Lyndsey Llantero finished first and second in the shotput and second and fifth in the discus. Lyndsey Llantero additionally finished third in the high jump. Meanwhile, sophomore Karis Myers placed second in the pole vault. Junior Mikayla Gamboa jumped into the top five in the both long jump and the triple jump.

After a successful first meet, some members of the Breakers’ track and field team attended the North Salinas Invitational on Saturday, March 23rd. Highlights include Olivia Pearman’s first place finish in the Varsity 400 meter run in which she clocked a personal record of 1:04.17. Jack Hansen earned two medals by finishing fifth in the Freshmen 65 meter high hurdles and third in the Freshmen 300 meter hurdles. In the distance medley relay events, both the girls’ team of Taylor Biondi (1200 meter leg), Madelyn Ackerman (400 meter leg), Olivia Pearman (800 meter leg), and Caroline Coen (1600 meter leg) and the boys’ team of Kai Hoadley (1200 meter leg), Thomas Jameson (400 meter leg), Sam Coutts (800 meter leg), and Robertson Rice (1600 meter leg) finished third. Jake Alt, Robertson Rice, Luke Stefanou, and Will Stefanou won the boys’ 4×800 relay with a time of 8:23. Karis Myers finished sixth in the girls’ pole vault, and Jacob Zeidberg finished third for the boys. Cameron Powley finished fourth in the Freshmen long jump.

While the rest of the team attended the King City Invitational on Saturday March 30th, Jake Alt and Will Stefanou attended the prestigious Stanford Invitational at Stanford University. Highlights from King City include Taylor Biondi’s first place victory in the 800 meter race, Lauren Coppla’s second place finish in the 100 meter dash and third place finish in the 200 meter dash, Luke Stefanou’s second place finish and personal record time in the Frosh/Soph 3200 meter run, and Mae Tulua’s first place victory in the Frosh/Soph shotput. Simply making it to the Stanford Invitational is a huge accomplishment for Jake Alt and Will Stefanou. Athletes are invited to participate based on their previous performances. Jake Alt qualified in the 1600 meter run, while Will Stefanou qualified in the 800 meter run. Both Breakers represented Pacific Grove exceptionally well, and both claimed to have had an amazing experience.

Pacific Grove High School’s 2019 track and field season clearly has promise, with Breakers excelling in both events that test their strength and events that test their endurance. The Breakers hope for more success this upcoming week at their first home meet of the season on Wednesday, April 3rd, and at the Pacific Grove Rotary Invitational on Saturday, April 6th.