PG Bands are Jazzing Things Up

Back to Article
Back to Article

PG Bands are Jazzing Things Up

Written by Mitali Chowdhury, Journalist

While all members of the Breaker Band and Orchestra work hard at their instruments, some musicians have been jamming extra hours to get this year’s jazz groups going. The Jazz Big Band meets every Monday to work on a variety of music, while the Friday Dixieland group focuses on traditional style jazz. A reference to both the Old South and a popular band in the early 1900s, Dixieland is known for a single melody backed up by other instruments improvising to create a more polyphonic sound.

The Dixieland band has been a new experience for many PGHS musicians. Trombonist Elijah Taurke shared that although he has played songs in the style before, he has “never played it specifically in a group, and it’s a new and really cool experience.”

On March 2, the Dixieland jazz group showcased some of their work at the Jazz Bash by the Bay. Featuring musicians from all over the world, the festival lasted three days in downtown Monterey. Members of the Dixieland band explained that they played a set for about an hour in an open room, while audience members could walk in, enjoy the music, and then go listen to other groups.

It “was a very laid back, exciting, and up beat festival that brought jazz musicians together from all over,” said tenor sax player Cayden Bloomer. “I got to see many advanced groups perform as well as play with the PGHS jazz combo,” he recalled, adding that “it was our first gig of the year!”

The festival also provided a great opportunity for the PGHS music community in general. Throughout the weekend, students and parents involved in various music groups volunteered to sport glittery hats and outfits matching the atmosphere of the event and sell raffle tickets to those attending. Overall, the fundraiser earned a great deal of money to support the music program.

For those who missed the festival, there is no need to fear. Both groups will be playing on Wednesday, April 3, at 7 PM in the Student Union.