PGHS Student Voices: A Success!

Back to Article
Back to Article

PGHS Student Voices: A Success!

Written by Michelle Lee, Editor, Journalist

If you didn’t come to Student Voices last week, you sure missed out on a lot! On the night of Thursday, March 14, the gym transformed into a musical haven. The seats began to fill up quickly as people came in, excited to see what was in show for them. And the line-up did not disappoint!

Starting off the night were Max Afifi and Sierra Smith, who sang “Bad Habit” by Ben Platt. Then, Joely Kaatz and Jaye Flores performed an acoustic version of “Wonderwall” by Oasis. Following them were Eleanor Bukhari and Jenna Hall, who danced to a Bollywood theme. Students also sang songs by David Bowie, Alicia Keys, and Noah Kahan accompanied by a variety of instruments, including an electric ukelele, guitar, and piano. Classical music was also on display, as works by Romantic composers Chopin and Liszt were performed on the keyboard.

After a brief intermission, Taylor Garrett and Jaqui Morales continued the show with “Perfect” by Ed Sheeran. Accompanied by Michelle Lee, Elizabeth McLaren then sang “Skyscraper” by Demi Lovato; next, sibling duo Seth and Cali Knoop performed their rendition of “Fast Car” by Tracy Chapman. After “Stay” by Jewel Capili and Max Afifi, Madison Van Tassel delivered a beautiful performance of “Taking Chances” by Celine Dion. Another sibling duo followed, as Elizabeth Lee and Michelle Lee made their first stage appearance together, singing “Keep Holding On” by Avril Lavigne. Noor Karaki then wowed the crowd with a soulful “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse. Another dance performance followed, with Amelia Rudolf and Cameran Hurst showcasing their impressive moves to “Hey, Soul Sister” by Train. Finishing the night was the pair of Lindsay Bryan and Sophia Levy, who performed “Glitter in the Air” by Pink. The only thing missing was some sky-high acrobatics!

The top eleven acts had a chance to perform in front of the entire school the next day, in an assembly hosted by none other than the charismatic and comical Arts Commissioners Sofia Chang and Adrian Clark.

Some people in the day show had mixed emotions and feelings. Junior Elizabeth McLaren, who tried out for Student Voices for the first time this year, recalled that it was “nerve wracking, but also a lot of fun.” Senior Noor Karaki was also a little nervous, but happy and excited at the same time. Freshman Hannah Yun, who performed in the night show, commented, “It was fun. I was glad that I tried out. I didn’t really get nervous, because I don’t get stage fright.” 

Many students enjoyed the day show, and their enthusiasm showed, even after the assembly had come to a close. Junior Oscar Scholin mentioned that while being crammed into one side of the gym might not have been the best thing, the performances themselves were pretty spectacular.

However, some students found that the diversity of acts in the day show could have been improved. Freshman Rena Go noticed that all of the acts were either singing or dancing: “First, I couldn’t really see from where I sat, and also in general, everything was kind of the same. There was no variety, there could have been other things.” Overall, though, Go believed that “everyone did really good.”

Everyone could agree that this year’s Student Voices night and day shows both ran smoothly, thanks to the stage crew, the great organization and management by the Arts Commissioners, and everyone behind the scenes who worked to bring the showcase close to perfection. In the end, the talented student body not only got to show off their serious skills, but also simply do what they love to do.