Annual PGHS Choir Tour is a Success!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Annual PGHS Choir Tour is a Success!

Written by Adrian Clark, Journalist

ANAHEIM, CA- At the beginning of last month, the Pacific Grove High School Choir had their annual tour to Southern California. The quickly growing choir, lead by Sean and Michelle Boulware, had prepared their outstanding repertoire of choral music since the first week of school. Every weekend, 40 students sacrifice their sacred Saturday mornings to collaborate in song. Instead of 40 different voices, they create one voice, one choir.

The choir tour consisted of three days filled with performances, choral workshops, college visits, and most importantly, fun at Disneyland. After having to endure a seven-hour car ride to Southern California, the choir had to wake up early to perform on one of Disneyland’s fabulous stages. The seating of California Adventure’s outdoor stage filled up with only standing room left as the PGHS Choir took to the stage. The choir stunned the audience with everything from a headbanging Queen tribute to the inspirational song “This is Me” from the Greatest Showman. The crowd happily met the students with a rousing ovation as they departed from the stage.

Next, PGHS students journeyed to CalPoly Pomona where they avidly listened to the school’s elite choir. Afterward, they joined the choir’s director for a two-hour choral workshop where they learned how to improve their already great songs. Based on the students’ reactions, one could see that the workshop had brought everyone together and made them sound much more professional. All in all, the entire group agreed that the private workshop was very beneficial and not only improved their songs but also enhanced the sound of the choir as a whole. 

Finally, the choir ended their trip with a special musical workshop back at Disneyland. This was the first year they chose not to do the choral workshop. Instead, they chose to step out of their comfort zone and change it up. The workshop started with a viewing of Mickey and The Magical Map then the students asked the cast about their interesting professions. After, the choir got to learn a very challenging dance number from the musical that they just witnessed. There was singing, there was dancing, there was sweating, and thankfully, there was no crying. Even though this was the first experience of this kind for this group of students, they overcame any fears and conquered the choreography. This trip was not the same as the ones prior; it combined education with immense fun. Each year, the tour to Southern California creates a much closer knit choir, ready to take on any song thrown at them.