Destination: Victory

Back to Article
Back to Article

Destination: Victory

Written by Mitali Chowdhury, Journalist

Anyone familiar with the BreakerBots knows that they have been working very hard these last 6 weeks. During their 2019 build season, the team met over 200 hours to design, prototype, build, test, and program robots for this year’s FIRST Robotics Competition, Destination: Deep Space. Starting on January 5, teams were given approximately six weeks to prepare for competition, after which they were required to seal their final robot in a bag on February 19. Although the BreakerBots have bagged this year’s bot, Nebula, they know that this is just the start of a promising competition season.

In the calm that followed the chaos of Bag Week, members of the robotics team have had a chance to reflect on the build season behind them. This year’s build, according to team captain Tyler Smithtro, “was an immense challenge to each and every one of our members, but I am still extremely proud of everyone for what we have created in the past six weeks.” When asked about the upcoming regionals, one at Central Valley and the other local, Smithtro remarked that “[Our] robot has completely exceeded my expectations and I am looking forward to competing and putting our hard work to the test.”

Design lead Evan Clark, at the end of his second build season with the team, shared that “feelings of relief, satisfaction, and sorrow surged through me. I look back at the last six weeks of my life and all of the devotion I have put into this robot and think to myself how impressed I am of this team to achieve a robot so great. This team that I have spent countless hours with right up until the very end of the bag…” Also in his second year with the BreakerBots, mentor Will Snow was impressed that “even after significant turnover, the team has made a significant step up in build quality.” He elaborated, “In 2019, we used new tools and techniques to provide a much more rigid and reliable robot. From new milled parts to welding the chassis, to a completely rewritten code base using modularized components, the team hopes to be very competitive in the 2019 season.”

Even with the promise of exciting competitions ahead, this week marked the end of build seasons with the BreakerBots for the class of 2019. “I am sad to have to be ending such an amazing part of my life,” reflected Clark, “one that has opened so many doors for me, but I know that I will take everything I have learned in that cold and noisy lair with me everywhere I go. I have confidence in the next generation team to do even greater things, and I’m hopeful that I am able to leave the new members, especially the CADers Corbin and Julian, with all of my knowledge for them to build even better bots. I am overjoyed that I get to leave the team having built Nebula, the greatest bot that will ever live.”