Monterey Holi-Bay Spirit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Monterey Holi-Bay Spirit

Written by Mitali Chowdhury, Journalist

Every year, December inevitably brings the holiday cheer with it. Nowhere is this more apparent than in PG and neighboring towns, with local holiday events of all types throughout the month.

One of the most well known images of the season is, of course, the Christmas tree, and it is no different in Pacific Grove, where the festivities began on November 26 with the tree lighting in Jewell Park. Performances and pictures with Santa added even more holiday flair to the event. Dancer Cameran Hurst, who performed with others from the DiFranco Dance Project, shed light on her experience and shared that they “enjoy performing whether inside or outside.” The tree lighting was no exception, as Hurst’s “heart was full of alacrity because the crowd was so big. To see all of the smiling faces is wonderful!”

For those who can’t have winter without snow, Ice Skating by the Bay can make it the coolest time of the year. The skating rink is located in the Custom House Plaza next to Fisherman’s Wharf, which will also be celebrating with decorations, music, and visits with Santa during Christmas on the Wharf. Even closer than Monterey, a visit to Candy Cane Lane, which opened this past weekend, can light up the holidays. Student Delson Hays described the event as extremely popular, mainly for the colorful lights and cardboard character cutouts throughout the neighborhood.

For those who love the arts of the season, there are plenty of great local events tuned to that interest as well. Some highlights from the past weekend include performances of the Nutcracker at the Sunset Center in Carmel, as well as Tuba Christmas in Monterey, an “interesting… high quality performance, featuring low brass… [that] brought people together for the holidays,” according to brass player Josh Osbourne. Another musician, oboist Cayden Bloomer, was performing during the Christmas at the Adobes tour in downtown Monterey. Bloomer noted that the experience “was very heartwarming… I had never played with such wonderful people for a joyful crowd during the holidays. I’m thankful the Youth Music of Monterey woodwind trio was given the opportunity to participate in this event.”

On that note… happy holidays, Breakers!