Fall Sports Highlights

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fall Sports Highlights

Written by Caroline Coen, Journalist

The first athletic trimester has already concluded, and winter sports (basketball, soccer, and wrestling) are in full swing. Sports were a little different this trimester, as Breakers witnessed for the first time the new PCAL league in action. After many years of the Mission Trail Athletic League, the new, bigger Pacific Coast Athletic League brought a new set of opponents in every sport. Even with a new league, this fall has brought athletic success for many Breakers participating in football, girls’ golf, volleyball, girls’ tennis, and cross country.

The Breakers performed significantly better this year than last year in football. With a final record of 4-6, the Breakers bested Greenfield, Stevenson, San Lorenzo Valley, and Santa Cruz. Winning against Stevenson was particularly exciting. It was Homecoming, so the win helped to encourage school spirit all across campus.

Girls’ golf had a very fun season, according to captain Mika Gordon. The team was small, with only six girls playing consistently. Gordon noted that she was proud that the small crew of girls were always able to face their opponents together as a team.

The girls’ volleyball team also found a highlight in interpersonal relationships this season. According to Ashley Bilyeu, the girls had great chemistry and enjoyed playing together.

Girls’ tennis made history this year, making the CCS playoffs for the first time ever. Although they lost their first CCS match against Gunn High School, Pacific Grove was tied for second in their league. Along with great athletic success, Pacific Grove girls’ tennis also attained the highest average GPA in CCS with an unweighted 3.91.

The cross country boys’ team continued its reign of success this year. After placing second in the highest division of PCAL behind Alisal, the boys qualified for CCS. Pacific Grove faced a tie-break with Sacred Heart Prep for the final state-qualifying position (third place) at CCS. Both teams scored ninety-nine points, causing scorers to have to look past the fifth runners to the sixth runners of each team to break the tie. Pacific Grove came out on top, and competed at the state level for the third year in a row on Saturday, November 24th in Fresno.