Spring Sports Highlights

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Sports Highlights

Written by Caroline Coen, Journalist

From lacrosse to track and field, success prevailed throughout all the Pacific Grove High School Spring Sports’ seasons. As the season draws to a close, the time has come to reflect upon both individual and team triumphs.

Along with finishing their season as second in league, the lacrosse team had multiple notable victories. First, they managed to beat Hollister in overtime. “We came back by six points and then won it,” says sophomore Blake Moore. Next, lacrosse made PG proud by beating Carmel.

Boys’ tennis enjoyed some individual successes this year. Junior Delbert Truong played the honored position of number one seed singles for PG, according to freshman Bennett Bishop. Bishop also expressed excitement because “Paul Minik and I beat Alisal” in a doubles match.

Coach Jordan Gasperson of boys’ golf discussed success on the fairway this season with the NewsBreaker. “We had a great turnout this year,” he explained, regarding the thirteen boys who participated. Playing in eight tournaments, Gasperson said “the highlight of the season would be our home match at Pacific Grove Golf Links. We were only four strokes behind Carmel.” This score is huge for PG, as in the past few years, PG boys’ golf has not been within fifty strokes of Carmel.

The Heyn brothers talked about their baseball season this year. Trevor Heyn, a junior, and Justin Heyn, a freshman,  said “Colton Bell threw a no-hitter against Marina.” They additionally mentioned that Kevahn Ebron and Hunter Hanes both hit home runs. The brothers also said the team was excited to “snap a non-league losing streak” this year.

On the girls’ side of things, softball made it to CCS playoffs this year. Stellar pitcher Parker Llantero, a junior, said “beating Carmel for senior night” was a top moment for the team. She also told the NewsBreaker that another season highlight was teammate Danielle Pasquariello hitting many home runs.

Ben Sterwerf (junior), a swimmer on the boys’ swimming team, told the NewsBreaker about a personal success. “I beat my 100 backstroke time by five seconds at MTAL” league championship, he explained.

Girls’ swimming enthusiastically sent a swimmer to CCS finals this season. Selly Diallo competed on May 12th. According to swimmer Siena Fisk, “Diallo had a best time at CCS [trials],” and through this meet, she made it to finals.

Coach Steve Watkins discussed the track and field season with the NewsBreaker. The girls were fourth place at the MTAL

championship meet, impressive for having a team of only about a dozen girls. “The girls did a lot with a little,” Watkins explains, especially with the loss of star hurdler Taylor Rainey due to injury halfway through the season. Watkins praised the distance boys for their dedication and effort this season, as they earned the boys’ team many points. They are a “hardworking bunch,” he says.

Pacific Grove High School can proudly say they finished the school year on a strong note athletically. Now comes the time to look forward to next year’s fall sports! Good luck, Breakers!