VAPA Week Highlights

Mei Bailey, Becky Phillips, Ashley Lyon, and Grace Woods with an impromptu performance in Main Hall!

Written by Ashley Lyon, Journalist

Last week, Pacific Grove High School honored student artists of all forms on campus during its Visual and Performing Arts, more commonly referred to as VAPA, Week. Throughout the week, art, culinary, photography, drama, and music students had their talents on display. Thanks to a few Breaker Band members, the student body also had access to pianos to bring music to the ears of those passing by the instruments. Despite a difficult time on campus and inclement weather, VAPA week brought shining talents and magnificent displays of artistery and brightened the week even as the sun remained invisible behind rain clouds.

PGHS’s fledgling improv troupe Wince & Repeat! Featuring Izze Rowntree, Katie Bitter, Adrian Clark, Joely Kaatz, Luke Herzog, Jesse Herzog, and Marina Lieberman.

Monday marked the beginning of VAPA week. Across main hall, a display of tightly pinned clothing clued students in on this year’s theme of “Fashion Fusion.” In the library, a display of photography works was put up so that students who passed through the library throughout the week could admire the impressive photographers’ works. At lunch, students from the drama class performed scenes in the Sea-Wing Theater. The first scene, a silent enactment of an unpredictable hospital operation, featured seniors Katie Bitter and Kyla Rubalcava as the unconscious patient and nurse respectively and Adrian Clark, sophomore, as the baffled surgeon. Senior Raphael Sizemore led the next two scenes. In the first, Sizemore recited a comedic monologue about an addiction to hamburgers and an attempt to go Kale. In the second, he acted as an obsessive college applicant in a scene with senior Lera Cecan, portraying the college interviewer from Sizemore’s character’s top (and only) college choice.

The school choir performs in the multipurpose room.

On Tuesday, the PGHS choir performed a sample of their repertoire at lunch in the Student Union, including the song “Waving Through a Window” from Dear Evan Hansen, a medley of songs entitled “Four Chords,” and the song “Baba Yetu” from the video-game Civilization IV. The following day, a new improv troupe on campus, Wince & Repeat, hosted improv games in the C-Wing theater, giving the students in attendance an insight into the wild minds of drama students and the unpredictable world of improv.

A fierce fashion show in C-Wing Theater!

Thursday, perhaps the busiest day of VAPA Week, featured displays and activities from the Culinary and Art classes. The Main Hall art display was enhanced by the denim designs of Mr. Kelly’s 2D Design students spread across the bulletin boards. Thursday’s lunch was rife with activities andpresentations. The Sea-Wing Theater was home to a fashion show with students modeling clothing articles from the unconventional materials challenge. After walking the runway in C-Wing, the models then strode down Main Hall to display the hard work of students. The highlight of the show was by far Culinary 3’s “The Green Goddess” look, modeled by Annabel Davis, which featured a dress accentuated with wild rosemary, parsley, and broccoli rabe, a blueberry broach, a string of blueberry “pearls,” a lettuce wrap, and artichoke crown. Following the Fashion Show, a culinary showcase of the annual Cupcake Wars displayed the confectionary creations of Culinary I students and the cake stands designed by 3D Design Students. Down at the Student Union, art club members offered free face painting to students.

Culinary class with tasty ice cream originals!

To close out VAPA, the Art Club offered another interactive activity with tee shirt painting in the Student Union at lunch. Also atlunch, the Culinary 2 students offered homemade gourmet ice cream samples in the courtyard between the Culinary room and the library. Although all of the ice creams were unique and delicious, the top three were determined to be The Muffin Man, a vanilla ice cream with blueberries, lemon zest, and streusel, Crocodile Teeth, a matcha ice cream with sesame seeds, and Harmony Bear (The Lavender Care Bear), a lavender-vanilla ice cream with mimosa honey and black sea salt.

Although VAPA Week is over, the arts continue to be alive and well on campus throughout the remaining months of school. Upcoming events include the Student Voices show and assembly on March 21 and 22 respectively, the Drama Production Jigsaw showing in the Sea-Wing Theater March 22-24, and this year’s musical, Shrek, which performs in the Student Union and opens on April 26 with a two weekend run. The library will no doubt continue to showcase the awe-inspiring works of art and photography students, so be sure to stop by and continue to support the many hardworking Breaker artists.