A Pre-Finals Perspective: How the Freshmen Feel about their First Finals

Written by Caroline Coen, Journalist

As finals week approaches, ambivalent feelings abound within this year’s freshmen class. New to the concept of cumulative testing for a grade, finals confuse (and terrify) many freshmen.

Most of the freshmen fears, however, have roots in english and math finals. In a poll of twenty-one freshmen students the week before testing, twelve students attributed most of their nerves to the lurking English final, whereas seven students expressed greatest fear for math finals. One of the other two students claimed nerves for the geography final, and the final student feared biology’s test.

In interviewing numerous freshmen, it appears freshmen seem either absolutely stressed over finals or absolutely confident. Eva Moore explained her stress to the NewsBreaker while also looking at the silver lining of finals week. “I feel absolutely terrified about finals…I’m stressed and I do not feel confident, but we have minimum days which is exciting,” she said. Similarly, Devean Batres dislikes having to potentially study for something “I may or may not pass. ”  Batres also contemplates “the fear of failure and the hope of success.” Abby Hendricks fears some tests more than others. “I’m actually pretty confident about most of them, but I’m really nervous for my Honors English and AP Geo finals,” she tells the NewsBreaker. Karis Myers, Bennett Bishop, and Gavin Lewis-Baer take on finals with a positive outlook.  Myers says she feels “pretty good about the finals, especially with the review packets,” and Bishop claims to feel “pretty confident” too.  Lewis-Baer reports “feeling prepared and somewhat ready.”  Bishop additionally expresses desire for more information prior to finals. “I wish we were more informed about how big of an impact on our final grade the finals have…I think most of us are either way too laid back about them or way too stressed…thinking they will make or break our entire GPA,” he explained to the NewsBreaker. Despite the mixed feelings toward finals, one thing is clear: the freshmen class will have both a better understanding of finals and advice for next year’s freshmen by the end of the week.