What’s Up with Measure Z, P, X, and the Rest?

What's Up with Measure Z, P, X, and the Rest?

Written by David Tuffs, Journalist

By now, you’ve probably seen a sign saying something along the lines of ‘No on H’ or ‘Yes on Z,’ whether you are walking to school or just heading somewhere to meet some friends, because these signs are EVERYWHERE. But what do these signs mean? I mean, there is surely more to them than just people spouting their unfiltered opinions about letters. Not that I disagree; I hate the letter H as much as the next person, but what are these signs really saying?

It’s simple enough: the letters and numbers are just fancy code names for ‘ local measures,’ or changes to the rule book in Pacific Grove and Monterey County that our parents are going to have to make confused decisions on in November. And there’s a lot of them. Here’s a run-down of what each of them are.

Measures A, J, L, O, W, and Y: These are proposals that would allow the government of Monterey Country to tax various areas of the cannabis industry. The tax would be pretty high on marijuana growers, but its backers say it would bring in a large amount of revenue and would bring the industry out of the shadows of the black market.

Measure E: Measure E would put a tax on homes, commercial properties, and vacant lots to pay for and protect the parks and preserves of Monterey County.

Measures G, H, and I: These aren’t really important. Nothing is really being changed; it’s just some ideas for ‘streamlining’ and modernizing city code. Measure G changes the wording of a utility tax without changing the actual tax. Measure H makes business license fees simpler. And finally, Measure I gives the authority of ‘competitive bidding’ (again, not important) to the city council.

Measure P: It’s a 5 percent tax on admissions in Pacific Grove, particularly on the Monterey Bay Aquarium. However, there are many questions about its legality, especially since only 20 percent of the Aquarium is within city limits.

Measure T: This would give Hartnell College a bond to upgrade its campuses and infrastructure. This, its supporters say, would allow more students to attend higher education.

Measure X: X is a small tax that would raise money for road and pedestrian projects. Such projects would include highway improvements, the creation of bus lanes, bike lanes, and more transport for those with disabilities.

Measure Z: Measure Z would ban fracking (drilling for natural gas), as well as oil industry expansion. This is probably the measure that you’ve seen the most signs for, as it is a highly contentious topic. Opponents claim that it would hurt schools, and force people to lose jobs. It’s a small number of jobs, though, and supporters say it would lead to advancements in green technology and cleaner oil operations.