Weekly College Spotlight: Columbia University

Back to Article
Back to Article

Written by Michelle Lee

This week’s Ivy League college is Columbia University. Did you know that 95% of students there will complete their education and graduate with a degree?

As states on Columbia’s website, http://www.columbia.edu, Columbia “is the oldest institution of higher learning in the state of New York and the fifth oldest in the United States.” The university was founded in 1754, which may seem like very long ago. Even though the American Revolution (1775-1783) suspended the growth of this university, this “institution continued to exert a significant influence on American life through the people associated with it.” It was originally known as King’s College by royal charter of King George II of England. The college changed its name to Columbia and reopened in 1784. The university has changed its location four times.

The acceptance rate for the university is 6.9 %, as of 2014. Undergraduates are 52.8% male, and 47.2% female. About 6 percent of the undergraduates are non-residential. “The middle 50% of admitted students [in the class of 2019] scored between 2160 and 2330 on the Math, Critical Reading, and Writing sections of the SAT,” according to http://undergrad.admissions.columbia.edu.  

Alexander Hamilton, a Founding Father of America, Eric Holder, Former Attorney General of the United States, Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th President of the United States, and Franklin D. Roosevelt, the 32nd President of the United States number among the notable alumni from Columbia. Even Barack Obama attended! Other famous alumni include Yo-Yo Ma, a renowned cellist and Milton Friedman, an American economist best known for his strong beliefs in free-market capitalism. Some celebrities that attended Columbia were Kelsey Chow, Cameron Russell, Sofia Vergara, Katie Holmes, and Alicia Keys.