Weekly College Spotlight – Brown University

Weekly College Spotlight - Brown University

Written by Michelle Lee

Hi PGHS! The college for this week will be Brown University. Did you know that it was once rated as the Happiest College in the United States?

Brown University was founded in the year 1764 by John and Moses Brown, James Manning, and Morgan Edwards. It is an independent and coeducational private college located in Providence, Rhode Island.

Now for some statistics… the acceptance rate at Brown is 8.7 percent (2014). With a total of 8,848 students, 6,264 are undergraduates, 2, 094 are graduates, and 490 are medical-degree seeking students. The undergraduate tuition for the academic year 2014-15 was $46,408, and room, board, and required fees totaled up to $11,994, making the total cost $59,428. The student-faculty ratio is 9:1, and 68.3 percent of the school’s classes have fewer than 20 students. Forty-five percent of the scholars were valedictorians or salutatorians, and ninety-four percent of students accepted to the Class of 2017 graduated in the top ten of their high school class. Wow!

Brown University is known for its diversity. Last year, students were accepted from all fifty states, mostly from California, New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Texas. Also, international students attend Brown, mostly from China, Canada, India, Korea, and the United Kingdom. About half of the school is female, and the other half is male. Brunonians also take charge of their classes, which gives them more freedom to study whichever subject they want. The most popular majors at Brown are: Biology/Biological Sciences, General; Economics, General; Computer Science; History, General; and Neuroscience. 97.5 percent of freshmen are satisfied with their stay at Brown University.

Notable alumni include famous celebrities like Emma Watson, an American actress, or Ted Turner, a media mogul and philanthropist, and founder of CNN. Others include Lincoln Chafee (recently dropped out of 2016 race) and Bobby Jindal, a Republican who is running for president. John D. Rockefeller Jr. and John F. Kennedy Jr. also graduated from Brown University.

Stay tuned for next week’s college!