Pool Rally

PGHS has fun in the sun!

Pool Rally

Written by Vanya Troung

Last Friday’s Pool Rally was an indubitable success, as evident by the splashing and endless laughter heard if passing by the high school’s pool at lunchtime. This year’s Pool Rally included a new event, the belly-flop contest, that many student spectators remembered as one of the highlights of the rally. At first, many students seemed unwilling to volunteer for the belly-flopping. But, sophomore Kulaea Tulua won the contest unanimously with her belly-flop that many recall as “brave” and “hilarious”. She fell spread-eagle into the water, which several students remarked looked painful, but elicited numerous laughs and cheers nonetheless. For the main event of the rally, the boat race, contestants participated in pairs with handmade boats. An array of cardboard-and-duct tape contraptions were all admired by the audience, as each piece was visibly the product of many hard-working hours. The winning team of the boat race was given to Kaelene Jensen (senior) and Jane Weichert (junior). This year is the pair’s second victory; Jane is a three-year winner and reigning champion. The National Art Honors Society boat crewed by seniors Maggie Lindenthal-Cox and Elizabeth Loh received the award for Most Creative. All in all, the Pool Rally was a fabulous success – and many students are left wondering, why don’t we have more than one Pool Rally each school year?