Breakers Advance, Beat S.L.V.

Written by Eli Swanson, Staff Writer

For the second straight year, Pacific Grove will play a second-round CCS Division IV Playoff game. After a fairly-even first quarter, Pacific Grove shook off the rust and rushed to a 37-13 win over San Lorenzo Valley.

The Cougars stunned the Breaker faithful with an early 65-yard touchdown run from Brighton Hart, who took up the slack after S.L.V. star Nate Gentry went down with an injury on defense in the first half. For a moment, it looked as if Pacific Grove might have a problem.

Any questions were answered when Anthony Coppla threw a beautiful pass to Jason Leach for a 32-yard receiving touchdown in the middle of the end zone. At the end of one, the score was knotted at seven.

The first half was the Jason Leach Show after that. The junior scored two more touchdowns in the second quarter, one coming on a fumbled reverse that Leach ran down the visitor’s sideline for a score with under a minute remaining in the half.

When the Breakers looked to be in control with less than 30 seconds to go, Brighton Hart went on a 64-yard sprint down the home sideline. Evading many defenders, the swift running back was finally tackled inside the P.G. 5-yard line as time expired. At the half, the score was 20-7 in favor of Pacific Grove.

An eventful halftime included a ceremony honoring two P.G. alumni who recently graduated from the Marine basic training and a baby powder cloud from the student section.

A John Buttrey field goal put the Breakers up 23-7 until Hart scored another touchdown for San Lorenzo Valley. With the score 23-13, Anthony Coppla called his own number from the Cougars’ 1-yard line to make it 30-13.

Jason Leach added his fourth touchdown of the night in the fourth quarter, bringing the score to 37-13.

The Breakers go to 10-1(7-0 MTAL) on the season while the Cougars’ season ends with a record of 8-3(4-1 SCCAL). The Breakers advance in the CCS Division IV Playoffs and will play a home game next Friday at 7 P.M. versus Monte Vista Christian, a team who the Breakers beat 20-14 earlier in the season. The winner of that semi-final will play the winner of the Carmel/Terra Nova game in the CCS Division IV Championship at a neutral site.