Breakers Face Tough Task In Rival Padres

Written by Eli Swanson, Staff Writer

On Saturday night, one team on the Monterey Peninsula will feel euphoria and another will be resigned to a playoff berth. This year’s Shoe Game matches two teams who are extremely close on both sides of the ball. No matter the records of the two teams involved, when Pacific Grove meets with Carmel for the shoe anything can happen.

After an early non-conference setback against Hilmar in September, the Breakers are in form as they approach their standoff with Carmel, their cross-town rivals. With a strong Jason Leach-led running corps and a tough defense, P.G. has outscored its opponents 237-41 over the past two months. Leach’s fifteen rushing touchdowns lead the team and the MTAL. Uche Ebo and James Donlon lead the Breaker defense with ten sacks each. John Buttrey has four of the nine Breaker interceptions on the season. The Breakers will have a tough task stopping a Carmel offense that has two players who have hauled in 13+ touchdowns.

Carmel holds a somewhat misleading 7-2 record after two early-season losses to MBL Gabilan Division powers Palma and Salinas. After being outscored 91-36 in those two games, Carmel has won all but one game by 20+ points. A balanced Carmel offense boasts 48 touchdowns, 20 on the ground and 20 through the air. Covassay Windham leads the Padre rushing attack with 13 touchdowns, and three others have tallied rushing scores. Returning quarterback Connor Marden has thrown for 27 touchdowns so far; William Kehoe has caught 14 of them. If the game turns into a shootout like the CCS semi-final between these two teams last November, the Carmel offense is well prepared.

The matchup on Saturday afternoon will not only decide who gets The Shoe, but also the Mission Trail Athletic League champion. Both teams are 6-0 in MTAL play, so the team that emerges Saturday with the perfect record will be the conference champion. Both teams already have secured playoff spots, but the game’s victor will most likely receive a home first-round game. If Carmel wins on Saturday, they are likely to receive the No. 1 seed in the CCS Division IV playoffs when the match-ups are announced on Sunday. Pacific Grove and Carmel are about as even as teams come, making their meeting that much more intriguing. The weekend that every Breaker has had marked on their calendar since August has arrived, and The Shoe is back up for grabs.

When: Saturday, November 15th 2 P.M. (J.V. “The Sock” at 11:45 A.M.)

Where: Carmel High School

Tickets 7$

2$ for Students & Seniors

Come support the Breakers as they go for The Shoe!